Friday, December 3, 2010

TV

Well, have you all seen the newest thing to do on Facebook with your profile pic? I'm reminded today of the tv shoe I used to watch when I was a kid. I watched some really girly shows, like Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, She-Ra, and CareBears(the original version. I be old-school). Who remembers those kinds of shows? I liked watching girls in pink kick ass and be pretty and ride pegasus all while being friends and getting the handsome prince. If only femenists from the early 20th century could know what girls would be watching on tv less than one hundred years later...I wonder if they would be proud or appalled. Probably both, I would imagine.
But I also remember watching shows my brother watched because it was what he wanted to watch, shows like the original(and best) Power Rangers, Biker Mice, and Captain Planet. People kicking butt and looking cool is what link these shows, along with a lack of good storyline. I remember thinking they were awesome, but sadly, when I grew up and watched them again, I was sadly disappointed by the storyline. Same goes for the original Pokemon shows...really bad art and acting. I also remember watching Superman, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Smurfs...everyone remembers them.

Does anyone remember watching Back to the Future cartoons? I loved them, but I think they went off the air after a few short weeks. Perhaps time travel was too much for children early in the morning. I don't know. I do remember waking up late on weekdays to watch Garfield and Friends whilst spooning sugary cereal into my mouth. I also watched Disney remakes of movies for tv shows, like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. It was awesome. Sure, the art wasn't as good as the movie, but I rather enjoyed them.

I loved Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck. I don't know what it was about ducks, but I guess they were cool to '90's kids. Maybe that's why they made The Mighty Ducks. I didn't think they were all that mighty, but as I stated before, I liked girly shows about ponies and pink, not hocky playing ducks in Jason masks.

My mom was forced to watch those shows...and she loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....and now I have to question why, because when I went to watch them again, it was very stupid and the plot line was very obvious. I guess the moral of the story is to never watch your favorite shows from your childhood because you'll destroy your illusion of the perfect Saturday morning. Better to leave it in the past. Remember gargoyles? Stupid. Makes me question my intelligence as a child, but I guess we've grown more sophistocated over the years.

In the end, tv shows have become the new fairytales for kids. To not have a watched a new movie is to be illiterate to our culture. Tv is the new graphic novel; movies, the new epic book. Watch out, world, here comes tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment